Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's all heart...

Funny story:  Looking for inspiration, I joined a local screenwriter's group before heading out of town for a while.  I've been responding to the meet-up messages, RSVPing "No" since I'm a few hundred miles away.

The last meeting was about adapting novels for the screen.  I responded with a regretful "No" and commented on the fact that I'm currently adapting a novel as a personal screenwriting exercise.

I've also been blogging my re-writes of The Dark Knight in my blog "Sweating Blood".

In both exercises, I've been trying to maintain the "heart" of the story.  After RSVPing, I thought more about the heart of the novel and if I'm truly capturing it.  This stuff becomes so subjective after a certain level of craft, but I wrestled with it and explored.

I mention Dark Knight because I'm not sure I found the heart.  The whole thing is a shell of a story strung together with hollow dialogue.  But the novel...  It's got heart to spare.  I hope I can capture even a glimmer of it.

I'm sure glad I joined that writer's group.

No comments:

Post a Comment